Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Dubious Milestone

Here we are- 200 weekly updates. They said I wouldn't last six weeks. Stupid doctors!

To be honest, I was hard-pressed to come up with something special to write for this week. Initially, I was going to pick my five favorite and least favorite entries, but I nixed it because A) I'd like to think that my writing is constantly evolving, so much that it'd hard to compare the first few WU's with say, last week's pirate rant, and B) I'm my own most damnening critic. However, if I had to pick one update that I truly regret writing, that would probably be WU #66 (that is to say, from the old site). When I was at Illinois State, the amount of free time I had to write would wildly vary, and on some occasions I almost forget it was Tuesday and I had to slap something together between classes. WU #66 took all of 45 minutes to write and it shows; while I still dislike "Full House," I don't think I did a dilligent job of expressing my animosity toward the Tanner family.

On the other hand, I wondered how appropriate it was to mark the occasion. After all, last week was the second anniversary of the Virginia Tech shootings and yesterday marked the ten-year anniversary of the Columbine massacre. Both incidents occured at oddly convinient times in my life; I was in 8th grade when the tragedy in Colorado happened, and a college senior when Seung-Hui Cho killed 32 people and wounded at least a dozen others. At the time, both were the deadliest shooting incidents in American history, reminders of the fragility of life and the abstruse nature of the gun contol debate. The victims were my peers, and in the days following the shootings I felt a little less safe in the world.

Rather than deconstruct four years' of writing, however I want to take this time to reflect. I'd like to thank everyone that made this possible, from my friends and family to all the wonderful people that comment and critique this blog every week. On that note, I do have something special to share: this summer, I will be taking a class at the famed Second City comedy training center in Chicago. This is a lifelong dream of mine and I still can't fathom that it's finally become a reality.

Of course, this milestone shouldn't entirely be about me. Congratulations to TheDiamondDog on her 1,000th blog at TV.com/Gamespot/Movie Tome/what used to be mp3.com. That number is hard to fathom- that's roughly five new blogs every week since June 2005. A tip of the hat to you, Mel.

Finally, just for old times' sake, here's a top five list:

TV.com's Five Least Popular Children's Shows:
1. Let's Drink Paint
2. The Latchkey Gang
3. Inside The Toolshed with Gropie Fondleman
4. The Magical Abandoned Refrigerator
5. Backyardigans After Dark

3 comments:

  1. How the hell did Mel do that...

    I thought about Columbine a lot yesterday because I was born on the same day as the Columbine massacre.

    I think I remember reading #66, and I don't think that would take 45 minutes to write. How long do most of these take you to type out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depends on the topic. With WU #66 I was straining for ideas, and at the time I was somewhat peeved by my roommate's love for "Full House" repeats on Nick-at-Nite. More often than not a blog takes about two days to write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd definitely watch "Let's Drink Paint". I'd also watch "Beat on the Brat with a Baseball Bat". Playing with abandoned refrigerators reminds me of a G.I. Joe PSA.

    "Half Baked" warped my mind forever when it comes to "Full House", which had to be the lamest piece of shit that ever existed at the time. A little scene in my head goes out something like this.

    Danny Tanner: "D.J., marijuana's not a drug. I used to suck dick for coke!"

    Uncle Joey: "I seen him!"

    Danny Tanner very angrily: "Now that's an addiction, man. You ever suck some dick for marijuana??"

    Uncle Joey: "Huh?!?!!?"

    D.J.: "No, I can't say I have, dad."

    Danny Tanner: "I didn't think so."

    Uncle Joey pointing: "Boo this fag! BOOOOOOOOOO!!"

    Stephanie enters: "Good morning, meth!"

    Congrats on 200, Stu. I found if I felt I needed to write something out for an entry, I'd just throw a bunch of random thoughts together, thinking somebody would hit a bulleye with one of them & comment. Inconsistency is my consistency.

    ReplyDelete