Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Don't Touch That Dial

Some peculiar news on the Chicago radio scene: a couple of weeks ago, WNUA 95.5 FM, one of the more preeminent "smooth jazz" stations in the country, dropped its format in a cost-cutting move by Clear Channel Communications and switched to syndicated Spanish news/talk. With this shrewd move, this leaves exactly one jazz station in the Chicago market, WDCB 90.9 FM. For those of you who aren't familiar with the station (click here to listen live), this is where I worked as a student aide and board operator for roughly 2 1/2 years.

WDCB is not purely a jazz station, but rather the predominant format; their weeknight programming is an eclectic mix of blues, folk, and world music. Outside of the occasional Keb' Mo' or Robert Randolph track on WXRT 93.1 FM (the local progressive-rock station), WDCB is the only haven for blues in Chicago radio on top of being the sole source for jazz. Considering the rich heritage of blues and jazz in Chicago, having to see those two musical genres reduced to sharing one station is pretty sad. I won't miss WNUA's blend of humdrum elevator music, but at least they had their hearts in the right place.

Other notes:

+ While I wasn't floored by President Obama's address in Egypt last week, I thought it was a dilligent attempt at pointing out the flaws of the modern Arab world. Outside of one minor inaccuracy (pardon the vitriol of this link, but he's right), Obama hit it home: the only way Islam can correct its course and eradicate the terrorist and extremist clusters that dominate the world's view of their faith is from within. Of course, Rich Lowry can say it a lot better than I ever could.

+ Nice going, chump.

+ Remember that lady who was killed by another woman who was driving and painting her nails at the same times? The traffic charges have just been dropped.

+ Finally, my thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and families of those on board Air France Flight 447 when it crashed in the Atlantic Ocean late last week. While we should be blessed that plane crashes are fewer and far between than they used to be, the number of lives taken can still mount quickly.

5 comments:

  1. I listen to WDCB daily ranging from mid-morning all the way through 6pm, Saturday nights from 7pm till bed. I think it's terrible that there's no Jazz in Chicago during the evening hours. Plus on the weekends there's too much of that old time radio Jazz & Big Band stuff I can't stand (I'm old school, but even I have my limits). I was never a fan of WNUA, they played too much crap for my tastes. Chicago needs more Blues & Jazz stations. I'd like to see a Blues station that blends traditional Blues with Classic Rock Blues.

    Well that's something that the traffic charges got dropped. Personally I can't stand motorcycles & I found them to be an annoying nuisance, especially sound-wise. Same with people who don't have mufflers on their cars.

    lol @ that teen dropping the F-bomb. That fucking fucker. You can tell he's got some anger issues.

    I don't like airplanes. Airplanes kill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WDCB also has jazz on Sunday nights.

    Believe it or not, even though plane crashes tend to make more headlines, they're actually safer than driving a car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew about the Sunday night Jazz, but my Sunday TV schedule is usually filled up.

    Yeah I know planes are safer, I just don't like being off the ground. I really don't like stairs either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Stu, it's the 12th. I can now pick up CBS, but not ABC now! Jiminy frick. Didn't see that one coming.

    Ugh, this Interleague Play shit is starting again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen the Jeopardy video before.

    And how the fuck did that woman get out of trouble? She killed someone! Lock her up.

    ReplyDelete