Thursday, December 12, 2013

My Year of Drama

Last week, I was driving on I-290 when I received a phone call from my mother. My sister had been in a three-car accident; the fender bender wasn't her fault, but the back of her car would require repairs in the high three figures. I texted my sister after I parked in Lakeview, she said she felt woozy, so my mother drove her to the ER. It didn't seem serious, but after everything that's happened to my parents these past few years, I couldn't help but feel a little distracted.

For those keeping tally, I was the only member of my immediate family to not go to the emergency room in the last calendar year. First my mother's gallbladder removal, than my father's tumor and lengthy recovery, now this. Heck, even our older dog spent time at the emergency vet for a pulled neck muscle. Nearly all year, I've been feeling the walls closing in. Incidents and maladies like this, constant reminders of the precious quality of life, heighten my neuroses and drive me to distraction. At once, I feel stronger for surviving and more worn for wear.

As 2013 segues into 2014, I've come to the realization that for better or worse, these past 12 months have been way more eventful than I would have liked. It was a year of accomplishment and setbacks, of risk and challenge, of ambition and frustration. There was a lot that I would like to change, and an equal amount that was perfect as it is. For my sake, I hope '14 is a little more... well, boring.

Next Week: 2013, the year in music.

No comments:

Post a Comment