Thursday, September 15, 2022

Up The Palace

 Had I been blogging as consistently as I did for the first seven years, largely during my time as an editor and forum moderator at TV.com, I would have reached the milestone of 700 posts about four years ago. Alas, I have my skewer in too many fires nowadays, and I fear that my attention span has dwindled as well. Regardless, for everyone who has been reading this at any point with any consistency since June 2005, I thank you. 

Speaking of long anticipated milestones, the Queen is dead. The reign of Britain's Elizabeth II, which lasted a record 70 years, began and ended during uncertain times in the kingdom's history. When her father Edward VI passed in 1952, the UK was still rebuilding in every sense from World War II. Her son, the awkward, entitled doofus now called Charles III, inherits an energy crisis, bad PR from his brother *and* daughter-in-law, and a teetering post-Brexit economy. On top of that, his Prime Minister had only been on the job two days when his mum passed. 

Charles III has always been the butt of jokes, so some Britons have taken solace in what will be a quick coronation and likely a short reign. (Well, relatively speaking.) Where Elizabeth was the embodiment of grace and consistency in her improbably long run, Charles is not known for either. Approaching his 74th birthday, England's first king since the early 1950s has a unique learning curve. He also inherits a kingdom that, over half a century removed from the death of imperialism, is slowly reckoning with its history of pillaging and enslavement. 

Will God save the king? Only time will tell.

(700)

No comments:

Post a Comment