Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Random Notes, July 2020

COVID-19 is undeniably the dominant news story of 2020, but that doesn't mean I can't give credence to other news:

+ Remember when I gave Bush 43 a C-/D+ when he left office? The appointment of Chief Justice John Roberts validates my grade. Several key Supreme Court decisions are not indicators of a liberal shift per se, but that the center is struggling to relate to Trump conservatives. As of Monday the 1st, any chance of Roe v. Wade ever getting reversed just took a serious blow. To de-fang the electoral college didn't hurt, either. Roberts is no liberal, but at least he's deciding with his conscience.

+ For the second year in a row, I don't feel up to writing out an entire Fantasy Emmy ballot. I have downtime, but not enough to keep up with the phalanx of quality shows on cable and streaming right now. I am hoping that the TV Academy selects (among nominees, anyway) the Hulu series "Ramy," Ben Mendelsohn for "The Outsider," and Janelle Monae for "Homecoming." Message me for more of my thoughts.

+ It was weird not having any concrete plans for Independence Day. I drove out to my sister's, I hung out with the dogs, then I drove back in time to see my roommate ignite fireworks that he bought in Wisconsin two days prior. I did not mind the laid-back feel, but I miss drinking with friends.

Next Week: at long last, my 2020 MLB preview. Stay safe and stay home.

(653)

No comments:

Post a Comment