Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Optimus Prime Ain't Got Nuthin' On Me

It's been another long, hectic week so I'll keep it short:

+ Weekend before last, I was in downtown Chicago walking towards the Blue Line when I saw seven-foot piles of rubble and crushed cars stacked upon each other. It was only after the dust settled (literally) that I saw a small army of security guards, followed by two crew guys in "Transformers" t-shirts. Apparently, I wandered onto a movie set. Considering how bad the first sequel was, I'm a little hesitant to see Michael Bay's minions take over downtown --especially with all the traffic jams they're causing-- but if it earns badly-needed money for the city and the state so be it.

+ A few months ago, you may recall my lamenting the demise of the Heritage Festival, the annual three-day fair in downtown Downers Grove. Well, shortly after it was cancelled, the local Rotary Club stepped in and funded their own festival for the village. Last weekend was the first annual "GroveFest," and though it might've been smaller in scale all points suggest it was a rousing success. :)

+ During his most recent weekly radio address, President Obama took the GOP to task for blocking aid to small businesses and not helping the nation's unemployed... oh wait, I commented on this a month ago. Never mind.

+ Some news stories are too weird to be made up. This is definitely one of them.

+ I've been wanting to see "Inception." I tend to go to the show two or three times during the summer, so I try to get my money's worth. (The one other movie I've seen was "MacGruber.") Your thoughts?

Next week: the year in music, 1983.

No comments:

Post a Comment