Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Random Notes, October 2012


There's been a lot on my mind lately:

+ I will concede that Mitt Romney won the first debate last week. It was not, however the KO that most in the media have described. Where Romney was more polished in his delivery than President Obama, he was also vague at times and much more incendiary. Where President Obama looked unfocused and tired, his responses to Jim Lehrer's questions were more specific in detail. Regardless, I don't think too many people were swayed by the overall effort, and there are two more debates to go.

+ They put an avowed creationist on the congressional science committee? Huh?

+ For the fourth year in a row, I won a fantasy baseball title. In what will probably be the last year of the TV.com league at Yahoo, I barely edged out Dolph Rudager to take first in the six-man league. My "other" team finished third despite being in first much of the year, and a team I inherited in midseason (thank you, LesNessman) finished seventh out of ten in a kinda sorta "keeper" league.

+ Over on the Chicago improv scene, I am now using my talents for a noble cause. About six weeks ago I auditioned for a non-profit organization called Funny Bones Improv. The primary cause of the group is to perform game-oriented improv to sick children in hospitals. After making the cut, I observed an FBI show at a hospital in the north Chicago suburbs; it was staggering how much the kids' morale was boosted by our wacky shenanigans. I don't have my first show for a few more weeks, but I can't put into words how humbled and honored I am to be part of this organization.

(381)

4 comments:

  1. I can sense your disappointment that Obama isn't the great debater you all thought he was. Like his Big Bird joke the next day in Colorado, that was all from a smartassed speech writer & not from him. Obama is a puppet. Duller than dirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meanwhile, in the VP debate, we have Biden cackling and grinning like The Joker...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love or hate Biden, he was pretty compelling to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, so is Charles Manson!

    ReplyDelete