Sunday, February 27, 2022

Dispatches from Arm's Length, Part 19

I assumed a while ago that mask mandates would be lifted on a gradual basis. For a certain part of the population, this is akin to liberation, a minor inconvenience interpreted as oppression. COVID cases are indeed tapering off after a volatile December and January, and as a result the mandates are beginning to waver. In my school districts, there were PTA and village council meetings where the hostility veered into the absurd, with anti-maskers coming out in full, buffoonish force. Some of the districts relented; masks have gone from mandatory to "highly encouraged." 

I subbed at Hinsdale Central High School on Monday, February 20th, the day their mandate was adjusted. I noticed about 70% of the faculty kept their masks on, but maybe 40% of the students the same. When I subbed again on Friday the 24th, the teachers were holding firm but about 25% of the student body had their noses and mouths covered. The mask mandate, as well as proof of vaccination in Chicago proper will be dropped Monday the 28th. 

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I don't think we're ready yet. For almost two years now, we've seen every optimistic prediction come and go, variants rise and fall, and fight between precaution and denial. I am concerned that another variant is around the corner. Even if Omicron wasn't as life-threatening as its predecessor strains, and respiratory viruses often mutate and become less virulent and less of a serious health issue... it only feels safe now. Of course, the anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers are acting like they won the war. For them, I wish they would think about someone besides themselves. Somehow, serious illness won't get the point across. 

(689)

No comments:

Post a Comment