Sunday, February 19, 2023

Random Notes, February 2023

 I try not to write consecutive "random notes" blog entries, but my mind has been in varying directions.

+ President Biden had to explain in person that UFOs don't exist. The GOP (and their basic cable propaganda arms) are obsessed with an errant balloon or two that might have been sent from China. This is nothing new, either. Biden's presidency, now 25 months in, remains a mixed bag. He gets my empathy, however as he often finds himself a sane man in a crazed world. 

+ This is perhaps the most challenging year I've ever had with substitute teaching. I underestimated the behavior problem at the junior high; where the seventh grade has an immaturity problem, the eighth grade is slightly more malicious. Not helping matters is a spike of COVID cases (remember those?) and an aforementioned dearth of subs. Neighboring districts pay better, but I remain loyal to a flaw. 

+ This year marked my 10th hosting and producing the Power Couples of Improv. For newer readers, PCI is my annual showcase of Chicago improvisers that are in romantic relationships with other improvisers, doing two-person improv sets. This year's show was very strong and made a small profit, but more than anything else it's just a fun show to put together. 

I promise I'll be more focused next time. 

(707)

No comments:

Post a Comment