Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Random Notes, September 2012


+ Something about Autumn depresses me. Even though it's still summer until September 21st, the temperatures have dropped and school is back in session. Something within the poetry of foliage and all things pumpkin alludes me. When the temperatures drop and I pull my hoodie out of the closet, it feels like an opportunity blown. It reminds me of a great athlete in his prime, then watching him fade into mediocrity and complacency as he ages. It makes me wish I'd savored the time he was in peak form.

+ Now we're in the home stretch. The conventions are over, and candidates are official, and the barrage of slanderous attack ads has begun. I've been opiniating throughout this whole, gruesome process --hell, since this blog began seven years ago-- and it's going to be very difficult for me to be quiet and sit on the fence until election day. As usual, I will continue to blather about President Obama and Governor Romney when I feel the uncontrollable urge to do so. I'm sure some of you have done the same.

+ I am truly, sincerely afraid that the hockey season will be lost again. You'd think Gary Bettman and the NHLPA had joined forces to run this great sport into the ground. I truly fear that hockey will become the team equivilant of boxing or horse racing, two sports that have been much better days.

+ Yes, I am supporting the Chicago Teachers Union. Who was asking?

(377)

2 comments:

  1. Yea to Fall because it signals all my shows coming back and football, football, football!!

    For some reason Alan Colmes keeps writing to me on Twitter. I bet he thinks I am some kind of right wing nut job when in reality I'm not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you kidding, Stu?? Autumn is great! The summer heat is gone & the air is crisp, bugs are dying by the truckload, warm hues of maroon, red, burnt orange, orange, yellow, tan & brown are everywhere, shorter days, brats back in school where they belong, I can eat soup & drink coffee & tea again, baseball playoffs, the World Series (my Super Bowl), Bears football, Turkey Day, playing sports outside much longer due to it being colder & I won't have to worry about a stinkin' 90+ degree day for another 9 months. The Meteorological Fall began on September 1st. For some reason I'm not very excited about the Fall TV season & almost missed SNL's premiere due to indifference.

    You're supporting the CTU? Shocking. They need to be held accountable.

    ReplyDelete